Cake, strawberries and buttercream frosting.... yes please
I have been craving cake lately and thought I would make a quick
to show some love this month.
For my birthday, I always get white cake with strawberry filling and buttercream frosting from our local bakery. My family always makes fun of me that I have no variety- but I like what I like. And I LIKE!!! ...I'm liking this better though :)
4 egg whites
- Break eggs and separate. Set aside and let rest for 30 minutes
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined.
- Add egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Spread batter into the prepared pan(s).
- Cook at 350 for 30 minutes in a round 8 inch cake pan
3/4 cup butter
2 cups ap flour
3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cups milk
- Warm butter and eggs to room temp
- Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt - set aside
- Beat butter for 30 seconds, slowly add sugar and mix 4-6 minutes
- Add in eggs 1at a time
- Add vanilla
- Alternate adding in flour and milk
- Spread into 8 inch pans and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes on wire rack than remove to finish cooling.
- recipes adopted from better homes and garden
Butter Cream frosting
you can also click here for recipe
3 cups confections’ sugar
1 cup butter softened over night
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons whipping cream
- In a standing mixer equipped with the whisk, mix overnight soft butter and confection’s sugar.
- Mix on a low speed until blended then increase to medium and whisk for 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and cream and beat for another minute. Add more cream according to desired consistency
- you can get clear vanilla at most cooking stores if you want pure white frosting.
- make sure and whisk for the whole 3 minutes- it does make a difference.
I decided to stack this cake to show its two flavors and because I can not frost a cake. They turn out ugly- very very ugly, not a skill that I have.
I hope that you enjoy this wonderful cake. It is a perfect valentine or anytime treat.